The other day I picked up a jar of black bean chili sauce. It was only a few Euros/dollars, and WELL worth it. I think I’ve found my new obsession for the next week or two: Tilapia in spicy black bean sauce. It’s super easy (I feel like I say this every post…) and satisfied my craving for something Asian and spicy. Rawr. Here it is: (Serves 2-3ish)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 2-3 Tilapia fillets (Alas, there is no fresh Tilapia available here, so I used frozen fillets. I didn’t have enough time to defrost them, so I boiled them until cooked and added them to the pan near the end)
- 1 red bell pepper/paprika, sliced
- 1 handful mushrooms, sliced
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Spicy black bean sauce, to taste (Find this in jars in your local Asian supermarket. I used about 2-3 Tbsp)
- Dried chili, to taste (optional for some, necessary for me)
- Rice, for serving (absolutely necessary, of course)
Saute the garlic and onion in vegetable oil (or another neutral tasting oil) for a few minutes until translucent. Turn down the heat to medium and add the mushrooms and bell pepper. Saute for 3-5 minutes. Season with soy sauce, and chilies, if desired. Add the cooked Tilapia fillets and break it up into bite-sized pieces (it’ll probably fall apart naturally during the stirring process). Mix well and adjust any seasonings as needed.
Serve over rice (obviously) and enjoy!